For the filling:
- 1 tin Jackfruit in Brine
- 600ml full fat milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 150g potatoes, diced into small chunks
- 150g carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
For the roux:
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 250ml milk from the cooked down mixture + reserved
For the crust
- 50g Jus Roll puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
For the filling
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut inner fibrous core away and discard.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on a medium heat and add the jackfruit and onion.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes until the onions take on some colour.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and 500ml of milk.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until the jackfruit has softened.
- Using two forks shred the jackfruit.
- Add another 100ml of milk.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and peas.
- Turn the heat up to medium and simmer for another 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Remove the bay leaves and rosemary.
To thicken the filling
- Remove the pan from the heat and using a slotted spoon scoop the vegetables and jackfruit into a large bowl.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large jug.
- Take the drained liquid and add a bit more milk to make up to 250ml.
- Wipe the pan clean and heat the butter on a low heat.
- Once it’s all melted, stir in the flour and whisk together until it forms a paste that moves away from the sides of the pan.
- Cook for another 2 minutes to cook off any raw flour taste.
- Pour in half of the milk and bring to the boil.
- After 2 minutes of boiling, reduce the heat to low and then whisk thoroughly until the roux starts to thicken.
- Once all the lumps are gone add the other half of the milk.
- Whisk again thoroughly until smooth.
Add the sauce to the filling
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into a deep bottomed casserole dish.
- Cover with puff pastry.
- Brush the top of the pastry with melted butter.
- Cut two little slits in the pastry.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Written by Adrian