- 1 leg of lamb - recipe works fir half a leg
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 very large knob of butter
- 1 large heavy casserole dish
- 1 bale of hay from pet shop
- Pre=heat the oven to gas mark 5.
- Fill the casserole dish with hay - well packed - and fill with water. Leave to soak for 20 minutes then drain.
- Finely chop the garlic and half the rosemary leaves. Mix well with the butter to form a garlic and rosemary butter.
- Dry the lamb and stab deeply all over with a sharp knife.
- Line the casserole dish with a thick layer of damp hay, place the lamb on top and work the butter into its top and sides. Add the remaining rosemary sprigs around the lamb.
- Cover the sides and top of the lamb with damp hay to fill the casserole dish - make sure the lamb is reasonably well centered. Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours of baking at gas mark 5 turn the temperature up to gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish and its lid; allow the lamb to rest in the hay for 15 minutes.
- Serve with roast vegetables and a thick gravy.... and don't forget the mint sauce!!!
Written by Super User