Crispy Sweet Roasties
Not only do sweet potatoes have bags of flavour, but they are healthier than white potatoes; more fibre, more vitamins and less carbs (despite their sweetness).
They, maybe, are even better as leftovers for breakfast, topped with a poached egg and some grilled, smoked bacon.
Very little oil is required for roasting these potatoes as their sugar content caramelises beautifully in a hot oven.
- 800g Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 - 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne (optional)
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- Good pinch of sea salt
- Approx 6 shallots, peeled and halved
- Pre heat the oven to Gas Mark 6
- Boil the potatoes is salted water for about 6 - 8 minutes, until just starting to soften. Drain and leave for a few minutes until the steam has evaporated.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and toss in the potatoes, giving them a good shake to ensure well coated and roughed up.
- Roast in a non-stick tray for 35 - 40 minutes, turning half way through to ensure even crispiness.